A brief history of
the Bellevue avenue library
The Bellevue Avenue Library was opened in 1914, and was one of 2,509 "Carnegie Libraries" built between 1883 and 1929 with funds donated by businessman, philanthropist, and steel magnate Andrew Carnegie. It has the distinction of being one of the only Carnegie Libraries left in the country that remains architecturally intact, and is still performing its original function.
It was closed briefly, in 2010, but because of the tireless efforts of the Friends of the Bellevue Avenue Library, it soon reopened. It continued vibrantly until 2020, when it was shuttered due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. As the pandemic was brought under control, its reopening was put into question after it was discovered that the Library Budget lacked the necessary funds.
Once again, The Friends of the Bellevue Avenue Library, along with the Montclair Library Friends, and many other concerned members of the community, stepped up - and once again, the beautiful Bellevue reopened its doors.
An ever-growing collection of many types of media, and a dedicated staff, a great many of whom are volunteers, ensures that the library continues to enlighten every patron that comes through its doors.
Throughout the 100 years of its continued existence, it has served as a refuge for the citizens of Montclair, a haven of culture, and a beacon for the great community that it serves.